SEO Process: How It Works
Getting found via Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a long-term process that uses organic search placement to help increase the volume of traffic from search engines and improve the quality of traffic by targeting highly relevant keywords. Search engine algorithms use hundreds of variables to determine which sites should rank for any particular keyword. SEO best practices will help to influence these variables and achieve better rankings for your website.
When we begin an SEO campaign for your site we will analyze its keywords as well as the keyword usage on sites which have already achieved top ranking on Google, Yahoo, and Bing. Through ongoing analysis of your key performance indicators and competitor’s tactics, we will implement strategies to improve your site’s search performance.
- Did you think SEO was just about content? Up to 70% of SEO rank is determined by your site’s technology.
- Optimize content & hosting setup to increase load speed
- Utilize AMP (accelerated mobile pages) & other mobile responsive optimization tactics
- Implement HTTPS, SSL & secure hosting to keep your site & users safe
Content & Formatting
- Choose a unique topic to the site – your pages should not compete against one another
- Focus content on a single topic at a time
- Use at least 250 words per page (450 for informational and keyword focused content)
- Leverage formatting to increase consumption & shareability
- Keep paragraphs short and user friendly
- Use bullets and lists
- Create subheads (h2)
- Include supporting images and infographics – great for social sharing, too!
- Leave room for white space
- Perform keyword research to understand how users search for your brand ((keywords, phrases, etc.) and then weight those keywords based on importance and relevance
- Use Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) keywords (keywords related to a main keyword)
- Distribute keywords evenly throughout website content
- Optimize keyword density (Google recommends 1-2% keyword density)
- Link with intention
- Use internal links and outbound links (if available)
- Use keyword anchor text when possible
- Include strong calls-to-action (CTAs)
- Follow your conversion funnels
- Image names (file name) with related textual content
- Reduce file sizes to help page load time
- near / at / in related textual content
- Create alt & title tags
- Page title tags and meta descriptions
- SEO-friendly URLs
- Microdata/schema.org markup
SEO Results: What Success Looks Like
When SEO is done correctly there are several key results you should be able to observe.
- First you should see your site appearing more often in search for a broader range of keywords.
- Next you should begin to observe an increase in traffic to your site from search engines.
- When keywords are well selected and targeted this will also lead to an increase in conversions on your website.
A typical SEO campaign will take between 3–6 months to start seeing results. This can vary by campaign based on the competitiveness of the industry, where your website was when we started, and other factors. Our SEO team will always keep you updated on the progress of your campaign and how we are helping you to reach your goals with monthly phone calls and reports.